History of Parish
Origins of Christianity

On the eve of the Assumption in 1588 the whole village of Marol became Catholic. After a very short time, thirteen other villages under the jurisdiction of Marol followed her example". (Ref. Thesaurum Rerum Indicarum I, Pg. 560.). Among those villages were Chaquelem (Chakala) and Gondoulym (Gundowli).

The person responsible for the conversions was Bro. Manuel Gomes S.J., who was ordained a priest in 1583. He was well-versed in the Marathi dialect spoken in this area and he also knew the rites and ceremonies of the local people. He was the founder of the Church of St. John the Baptist, Condita (Kondivita), the ruins of which still exists in the SEEPZ Complex.

According to the Ecclesiastical Census of 1660 and the Jesuit Report of 1669, the Catholic population of Chakala was 219 persons and that of Gundowli 246.

The Catholics of Chakala and Gundowli belonged to the parish of St. John the Baptist, Condita, till 1840, and thereafter, belonged to the parish of St. John the Evangelist, Marol.

The Church of Marol catered excellently to the spiritual and temporal needs of the villages of both Chakala and Gundowli, but with the growing population and increasing problems of transportation, a need for a separate Parish for these villages and the new ones that grew around, e.g. Mogra, was deeply felt.

 
Origins of the Parish

On 5th June 1943, Fr, M. Balaguer S.J., the Vicar General of Bombay, on his visit to the village of Gundowli for the blessing of the new building of the Little Flower's School .made a historic announcement.

He announced the formation of a new Parish. Thus, from July 1943, the villages of Gundowli and Chakala were detached from the Parish of Marol and formed a nucleus of a new Parish - the Holy Family, under the Vicarship of Fr. Alfred Tillo S.J., (7th. July 1943).

THE EXAMINER
Bombay JULY 31. 1943
Official Appointments

The Very Rev. German Batthazar Annunciation to be Vicar of the Church of the Holy Ghost, Nandakal and Dean of North Bassein.
The Rev. JaimeColumbano da Piedade Noronha, Chaplain, Chapel of the Sacred Heart, Worli, to be acting Vicar of the Church of Our Lady ot Succour, Manori.
The Rev. John Salvador Miranda, Vicar of the Church of the Mother of God, Palle, to be Priest-in-charge of the Chapel of the Sacred Heart, Worli.
The Rev. Father Altred Tillo, S.J., to be Priest-in-charge of the District of Chakala, Gundowli, etc.
The Rev. Macario Pereira, in temporary service of the Archdiocese, to be Assistant at the Church of St. Stephen, Cumballa Hill.

The first Mass of the new Parish was celebrated in a small horse stable rented from the widow of a Hindu gentleman, Mr. Hiraial. (Thus, Holy Family had its origin in a stable, like the Holy Family itself).

In 1945 the new Vicar, Fr. Denzil Keating S.J., constructed a bigger shed on the land lent by Vinayalaya. Later, during the year (1945), the original villagers of Chakala led by the four Gonsalves families donated a plot of land for building a new Church.

On the 10th of January 1959, His Eminence Valerian Cardinal Gracias blessed and laid the foundation stone of the new fan shaped Church building during the Vicarship of Fr. H. Jimenez S.J., who commenced the construction.

The Holy Family Parish's new church building was completed in 1962 and was blessed by His Eminence Valerian Cardinal Gracias on the 5th of March 1962. Fr. Salvador Marquis S.J., was the Vicar.

At this juncture, credit must be given to Fr. Salvador Marquis S.J., whose untiring zeal and constant drive resulted in the early completion of the building. His Eminence Valerian Cardinal Gracias' words at the blessing of the new church building sums up.

Fr. Marquis's contribution.
"Chakala needed a Fr. Marquis
to put it on the map"

Later during the year the official sanction for the new graveyard was received, and work. on the graveyard started almost immediately. After two years of hard labour and frustration (the entire land was a rocky hill), the cemetery was blessed on the 25th of June 1964, by Fr. J. Calvo S.J., the Vicar. In June 1987, the new Parish of the Sacred Heart was formed, part of which is comprised of a north-eastern portion of Holy Family. To this new Parish was lent, 75 temporary graves for a maximum period of 15 years. This was during the tenure of Fr. Fio Mascarenhas S.J., as Vicar. 1st of May 1993, one more landmark in the history of the HOLY FAMILY PARISH. The GOLDEN JUBILEE Year. His Eminence Simon Cardinal Pimenta, Archbishop of Bombay, was the Chief Guest and Fr. Fio Mascarenhas, S.J., the Vicar. During the last fifty years, Holy Family has contributed tremendously to the upliftment of the have-nots through various schemes and projects as a service to God. The efforts and dedication of the parishioners towards the activities of the Parish have been whole-hearted. This rich tradition is an assurance of a bright future.

 
Parish "First"
Vicar  :  Fr. Alfred Tilo S.J.
Baptism  :  Little John Romeo D'souza from Gundowli was baptised by Mr. Cyprian D'Costa, a layman on 12.8.1943 at Gundowli itself in "articus mortis"
Marriage  :  Mr. Clifford Rose to Winnie Doris Mary Vaz of Gundowli celebrated by Fr. A. Tillo S.J.
Death  :  John Romeo D'souza soon after his Baptism buried in Marol by Fr. Tilo S.J.
Sacristy  :  Bro. W. Braganza S.J., was the first to assist and Mr. Martin D'Souza was the first layperson.
Choirmaster  :  Fr. Zurbito S.J. Rector of Vinayalaya. Mr. Nazareth Femandes, who was the first lay-person followed by Mr. Sabu Rebello (1944 upto March 1983 - over 40 years).
Altar_Boys  :  Mr. Remy Femandes, Mr. Glen Vaz and Mr. Servilus Pereira.
Burial  :  Mr. Paul Pereira was the first to be buried in the newly blessed graveyard on 26th June 1964

 
The Shed of 1945
Like the previous stable, this structure too had only a roof and no side walls.
(Approx.size 80' x40' including the side extension). Hence, a few parishioners used to arrive early in the mor ning to have the Church swept and readied for Mass.

 
New Church Building
The idea of a fan shaped church building was conceived and propagated by Fr. Britto S.J., in 1951, during his tenure as Parish Priest. Fr. Carsi S.J.,was the person who designed and planned the entire project.

The church and the attached parochial house is a beautiful example of environmental planning. Both the church and the parochial house is a single structure built on different levels, taking advantage of the natural topography. The civil construction of the church was supervised by Bro. Jacob Macwan S.J.

The aluminium sheet roofing and wood work was done by the Vinayalaya carpentry shop , under the supervision of Bro.Eloy Molinis S.J. The church and the attached parochial house is a beautiful example of environmental planning. Both the church and the parochial house is a single structure built on different levels, taking advantage of the natural topography.

The M.S. structure was designed and executed by M/s. Richardson Cruddas. The entire steel structure is galvanised.

CEMETERY: Though sanctioned in 1962, it was consecrated only in June 1964 because this piece of land was a hillock. The task of clearing was arduous because the entire hill consisted of only a thin layer of top soil and then rock, which was too soft to be blasted yet hard enough to make manual digging difficult. Several contractors left the work incomplete and also the Church coffers were empty, till finally out of desperation Fr. Marquis made a fervent appeal for loans. After which Mr. John S. Pereira contacted a young contractor, (Mr. M. Kasim), and personally supervised the clearing and after almost two months of patience and blazing sun, the graveyard was completed and ready for use.

 
Former Vicars
1579 Bro. Manuel Gomes, S.J., builder of the Church at Condita.
1853 Ordination of Bro. Manuel Gomes and appointment of Fr. Gomes as First Vicar
1587 Fr. Gabriel de O'liveira S.J.
1618 Fr. Alwaro Lobo S.J.
1686 Fr. Reginald Burgos. S.J.
1687 Bro. Antonio de Misquita S.J., (In-charge of the property at Marol Mulgaon and Gundowli)
1687 Fr. Reginald Burgos, S.J.
1705 Fr. Joao Morato S.J.
1706 Fr. Lourenco de Souza S.J.
1708 Fr. Antonio de Azevedo S.J.
1710 Fr. Alvaro Rodriques S.J.
1716 Fr. Ignacio Marcal S.J.
1718 Fr. Francisco Nogueyra S.J.
1719 Fr. Belchior dos Reis S.J.
1726 Fr. Vincent de Baros S.J.
1731 Fr. Antonio Taborda S.J.
1733 Fr. Ignacio Marcal S.J.
1739 Fr. Manuel Francisco de Braganza S.J.
1739 Fr. Matheus dos Remedikos S.J.
1768 Fr. Matheus da Gama
1769 Fr. Francisco da Cruz
1785 Fr. Ignatio Gomes
1791 Fr. Francisco de Mello
1792 Fr. Vinjcente Fillipe Peres
1792 Fr. Francisco Peieira de Conceicao
1803 Fr. Antonio Joseph D'Costa
1803 Fr. Anslemo Louis
1803 Fr. John Alexander Dias
1804 Fr. John Deodato Vaz
1805 Fr. Bemando Antonio de Souza
1805 Fr. Anselrno Luis
1812 Fr. Anthony Cajetan Alvares.
1816 Fr. Anselrno Louis
1829 Fr. Beinando de Silva
1829 Fr. Ignacio Lourenco de Silva
1829 Fr. Francisco Xavier de Monte
1832 Fr. Diago Manual Gomes
1832 Fr. John Cajetan Lobo
1838 Fr. Jose Lourence Paes
1839 Fr. Diago Manual Gomes
1840 Fr. Pedio Paulo de Sa Maiol
1842 Fr. Jose Lourenco Paes (Fi. Paes built the Marol Church in 1840)
1853 Fr. Andrew Manual Gonsalves
1853 Fr. Gabriel Francisco D'Silva
1857 Fr. Jose Vincente de Souza
1881 Fr. Braz Francisco de Oliveira
1882 Fr. Diago Antonio Lobo
1894 Fr. Ponciano Joao Jose Gabriel de Souza
1905 Fr. Constancio Xavier Rebello
1906 Fr. Maximiano Xavier Louienco
1906 Fr. Maximian E.X. Rebello
1907 Fr. Michael Francis Pereira
1910 Fr. Santana Philip Fernandes
1912 Fr. Sebastian do Rosalia Costa
1912 Fr. John Francis Gonsalves
1913 Fr. Nicholas Francis Albino Monteiro
1920 Fr. Augusto Francis de Souza
1922 Fr. Anthony Francis Athaide
1922 Fr. John Joseph Zefenno Pereira
1932-1943 Fr. Marcellinus Baptista Holy Family Parish (July 1943)
7.7.1943 Fr. Alfred Tilo S.J., appointed as First Vicar.
1944 Fr. Denzil Keating S.J.
1948 Fr. Joe Dias S.J.
1949 Fr. Julius Gomes S.J.
1950 Fr. F. Ribot S.J.
1951 Fr. Britto S.J.
1952 Fr. H. Jimenez S.J.
1960 Fr. Salvador Marquis S.J.
1964 Fr. Jesus D Calvo S.J.
1971 Fr. Fiedrich Sopena S.J.
1982 Fr. Francis Barjou S.J.
1986 Fr. Anthony J. D'souza S.J.
1989 Fr. Fio Mascarenhas S.J.
1.5.1993 GOLDEN JUBILEE YEAR Fr. Fio Mascarenhas S.J.
1993-1996 Fr Cedric Rebello S.J.
1996-2000 Fr Peter Marranet S.J.
2000 Fr Jude Fernandes S.J.
2006 Fr. Joe Dias S.J.
2009 Fr. Jerome D'souza S.J.
2010 Fr. Gerard Rodricks S.J.